Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The End of the Garden!!



So - this was the summer of the Combe's first garden. Lauren got it in her mind that she wanted to plant a garden - so Matt cleared out a section of the backyard and planted a garden. All that I can say is that it was a very good learning experience - since we were never actually able to EAT anything that was planted. The corn we planted ended up being some weird variety and we couldn't convince anyone to eat very much of it. The birds pecked holes in all of our watermelon and we only got about 3 strawberries off our bushes. Oh well - as you can see from the pictures, the sunflowers grew well. They were over nine feet tall and Lauren is holding the biggest flower. I think it weighs more than she does. It was fun to see the whole process and maybe next summer we will have you all over for a big BBQ to help us eat our home grown food. (hmmmm . . . we'll see if it happens!)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

gillman said...

that sunflower is HUGE!!!! i can't believe you couldn't eat anything, how sad. but lauren loved that garden didn't she?? hopefully next year i will have a garden too, i just hope it grows so that we can eat it!!
meg :0)

Alicia said...

Trisha--
I love that you have started a blog! so fun! Your trip looked fabulous--I'm jealous!

Vanessa said...

Love the sunflower picts. And for the record....I've never been able to eat the corn I've grown too. I think I beet you though on the strawberries....I got 4! And to think I have a degree in horticulture....just shameful:)

Dana Fallentine said...

WOW!!! I'm going to have to get some of those seeds!!!